My Autistic Mind

I guess, I would be a person with autism. I live in my own world but I don’t mind. My world is not the same as the one most people have grown into. I worry not of the ills of society and people would label me a retard because I do not speak their language; no - I cannot speak their language and when it happens, my body has grown faster than my brain. People are baffled why I have to say and do things over and over again. I shake my head a lot and it annoys them. I twirl objects and flap my hands and I don’t look at people’s eyes. I cannot seek people I can call friends nor join into a spontaneous or make-believe play because my mind is persistently amazed at a singular object. I am a social pariah not by my own accord, but this is my story and I’m sticking to it.

The world of the child with autism is indeed mystifying as well as it is overwhelming. Unravelling the puzzle in the child’s life takes a lot of patience and compassion. Too many pieces just don’t fit. Putting the pieces together, I believe is a valuable challenge. I guess I’m pretty fascinated about how the mind works and influences a person’s way of life. I would like to be able to somehow understand where and when can a person with autism “awakens” from his/her slumber and be able to get in touched with his/her environment. I’m interested in being able to find ways on how to help a child with autism see his/her potentials outside his/her world and be able to offer possibilities that are not detrimental to his/her own limitations. While there have been several cases of person’s with autism who went beyond their disabilities and were able to go through secondary and tertiary education, there are still hundreds of individuals needing guidance. To be able to do so provides a personal fulfillment and a humbling experience.

Comments

Popular Posts