Baguio Then and Now

I was going over my old man's documents when I came across these old pictures of Baguio. I surmised these were taken during the late 1940's or early 50's basing from his other old pictures. After more than 50 years of development slowly gnawing the birthright of ethnic civilization that was Kafagway, the bagiw is no longer synonymous to Baguio, but now a memory long forgotten in many fronts. The signature moss of Baguio that kept the place cool even in summer is vanishing with the influx of migrants and tourists, all wanting to have a piece of the nation's summer capital. The city that was meant for a few thousands is now overcrowded. Trees no longer grow on mountain slopes but concrete shanties and mansions and structures meant to match with the times. The last tree I've seen standing on Mount Mary was cut to give way to a new building. I guess nobody knows anymore where Mount Mary is. Such is Baguio now. Still, I'm happy to see that the old landmarks are still there like the Mansion House, Burnham Lake and the Baguio Cathedral. I hope and do really pray that nobody ever thinks of putting up a floating restaurant on Burnham Lake.



Comments

Popular Posts